Friday, April 20, 2012

RAOK #39 - You're never done.

I LOVE laundry . . .

NOT.  Actually, I deplore laundry... it is the most unpleasant chore that I have to do and the worst thing about it is YOU ARE NEVER DONE unless you do your last load naked.  It's the most unfulfilling perpetual household task.  Ever.

I even have one of those mamma-jamma washer and dryers too, which you would think would make it less painful. Not a chance.

Last year a sad sad day came . . . my washer broke.  I don't know about your house, but at my house with four kids, if you have a broken washer for any length of time then laundry will soon be spilling from every orifice of your home.  The repair people were booked, so I had to go almost two weeks with a broken washer.  This is just NOT acceptable.

So . . . we schlocked laundry to the laundromat.  Not something I've done much of in the last 25 or so years.

I did this in college a lot.  No one has a washer and dryer in their dorm room, of course, so as soon as the students run out of clean underwear, they are at the laundromat.  In my case, my boyfriend, best friend, and I went to the laundromat every Friday night.  We never ran out of underwear.  Obviously, we were not very exciting.  On Friday nights, almost every other college student was either on a date or out partying and therefore the laundromat was deserted and there were plenty of washers.  We were the good kids, can you tell?  At least there aren't embarrassing pictures out there of me doing stupid things in college that could ruin any future political career on which I might decided to embark.  Also, my kids cannot justify any ill-advised behavior by using the excuse "Well YOU did it".  I'll be happy if they follow my example by spending their Friday nights in college at the laundromat.

The adult foray to the laundromat was just annoying.  What a waste of time to sit around there literally watching clothes dry, thinking of all the things you could be getting done while washing clothes at home, being bugged by the preschooler for sugar drinks and a plethora of candy from the many machines there, and listening to the teenagers gripe about why they had to waste a Saturday at the laundromat.  Uh, because your teenage sister put an earring in the washer again and it ripped the rubber boot and now we don't have a washer that works.  Go complain to her.

Now, I don't know about any of that stuff I just wrote about from personal experience. You thought that I went to the laundromat?    Ha!  I missed all that fun because the husband went with the kids instead of me to save my back from lifting.  I'm married to a great guy aren't I? No, you cannot have him . . .he is ALL mine!


RAOK #39 is for the college students, broken washer people and washerless people.  I made a special trip to the laundromat, went to a machine, filled it with quarters and put one of my little cards on there.  Let us observe a moment of silence please in respect for all of the people who have to schlock laundry to the laundromat to do a task that is yucky even at home.

Thank you.  Thank you very much.

1 comment: