Saturday, March 24, 2012

RAOK #31 - Rx for Wellness

In a lot of ways, I think I'm a pretty good mom.  But I think all parents are plagued about the things we know we need to do better.  Hopefully we take steps to fix those areas that need improvement.

One of the ways that I have been less-than-successful is when it comes to taking medicine or administering it.  I really want to be on top of that kid needing the antibiotic three. friggin'. times. a. day. for one thousand years  fourteen days. But for some reason I am not as good as I need to be about it.  My mom says that I legitimately have too much going on to remember everything (which is why my family calendar is online, color-coded, updated daily, and looked at about 10 times a day).  I'm obsessed with my calendar, and I don't forget or miss much when it comes to things we need to do or places we need to be.  The Rx, however, is a different matter.

A few months ago, in the throes of winter and all six of us taking turns getting sick for weeks on end, the lightbulb finally went on and I developed a chart for the refrigerator.  We all get into the fridge multiple times a day and it is hard not to notice the 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper staring me in the face.  I have finally developed something that makes me more successful in this area, and also eliminates confusion between me and the hubs when we are both doing the medicine man routine.

In my birthday post, I mentioned the preschooler was home sick the whole week.  I ran out the chart and posted it, but then realized I can't be the only one who stinks at this, right?  (Right??)  So I developed a generic chart for all you peeps who take meds and forget them or are parents who are struggling with it.  RAOK #31 was done the week of my birthday but I'm just getting around to posting it.

Here is a sample of the completed chart:

 Note there is room to write the day and date, and three sections for meds: 2x daily meds, 3x daily meds, and the pesky "alternate Tylenol and Motrin every three hours for a fever" section that EVERY parent surely needs!  Who can remember at 2am whether the last time out of 20 you gave Tylenol or Motrin?   This chart helps you track the time and the type so you never have to guess again or scramble for a piece of scrap paper to write it.  You wouldn't want to accidentally write it on the letter stating you won $5 million in the Publisher's Clearing House, now would you??

Here is the printable version.  If you can't get it to work properly, email me at justina {at} soarr dot com (it is spelled out so spam crawlers cannot grab my email and start sending me junk.  If you use it, type it in the way you normally would with the asterick and period etc.To your good health (and your kids'!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment